Banana bread has always been a staple in my household. I swear I subconsciously always buy extra or intentionally make the bananas I have on hand get extra ripe just to I can make a batch. We’re all familiar with traditional banana bread and the fancy ones that incorporate some type of nuts, fruits, and chocolate. However, since we’re about five months into quarantine, I wanted to make something a bit more nutritious and hearty. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one to skip on indulging on some sweets, but it’s nice to have a healthier option to keep you on track.
Over the past few months, I’ve noticed that oats are all the rage right now so I decided to experiment with oat flour. I’m going to let you in on a little tip/ scam- don’t buy overpriced oat flour from the store. You can easily make them by blending up some oatmeal for a few seconds. So simple and easy!
I made up this recipe on the spot and added ingredients as necessary. Measurements may not be totally accurate (hehe oops) but please modify as you may seem fit. For instance, batter looking a little dry? Try adding a dash of milk of your choice. Simple as that. No recipe is perfect and I always think it’s best to tweak to your liking. Baking is supposed to be fun and allows you to experiment with different techniques and ingredients. I encourage all of you to view baking as a creative outlook and put your own touch on standard recipes. Shit, I mean you can change the one I’m about to give you! In the end it’s about having fun and making delicious treats that you love.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate chips and/or any type of nuts to your liking
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease or line loaf pan with parchment paper
- Mash the bananas in a bowl and add egg, maple syrup, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, and salt. Fold into the banana mixture
- Add in your chocolate chips and nuts of choice
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean