Bagels. They are the essence of breakfast. I can never say no to them, especially an everything bagel. I mean who doesn’t love a fresh bagel slathered in cream cheese? It’s been a mission of mine to create a healthier, low carb version with simple ingredients for some time. I’ve tested a lot of low carb recipes and eventually found the right ratios that create that chewy quality you want a bagel to have.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can use the dough to create any other items such as pizza crust, dinner rolls, or just plain bread. Possibilities are really endless. Bonus points if you’re on a keto diet because they are very low in carbs (just 5g!).
Okay, can we emphasize how you only need 5 ingredients to make these. Yes, you read that right. Just 5 ingredients!
What are we waiting for, let’s make some bagels.
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- Everything but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s (optional, but not really)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line baking sheet with parchment
- Mix together the almond flour and baking power, set aside
- Combine the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese together in a bowl, and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring half way (you can microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed to well incorporate)
- Mix the flour mixture and and eggs into the melted cheese
- Kneed until a dough forms. Note that the mixture will be very sticky, but once throughly mixed it will become easier to work with.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll into a log shape. Connect the ends to form the bagel
- Sprinkle the everything but bagel seasoning on top and press down gently
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes, until golden brown
- You can definitely use other types of shredded cheese, or even a mixture if you’re feeling wild, but note that the dough will be a lot sticker. You may not be able to form into a bagel shape, but it’ll be delicious nonetheless. I’ve used asiago cheese and it was SO GOOD!
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with the type of cream cheese also! I’ve used everything from jalapeño to chive and onion flavored, and also whipped formulation
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!